Anniversaries

On August 6th, Shaughn and I will celebrate 3 years of marriage. Although we have talked about whether or not we wanted to go out or eat in (eat in: steaks from the quarter cow we just bought), there hasn't been much conversation around anniversary gifts. Which is typical. Of me. 

Shaughn is an amazing gift giver. He puts a lot of thought into them and is happy to splurge on me. While I'll have to strong arm him to buy things he needs, he has no problem hording tip money to buy me something lavish. He never misses a birthday, an anniversary, or a Valentine's Day. I mean, I'm a real lucky lady. Last year was our "cotton" anniversary and Shaughn got me a big fluffy white bathrobe. I got Shaughn a big fat nothing. He even got me a card. Honestly, I thought we were just going out to eat for our anniversary. I had no idea we were exchanging gifts! I felt like such a schmuck. 

This year I ALMOST DID IT AGAIN! The only reason I didn't was because I asked Shaughn what his APR was on one of his credit cards and instead of letting me look at his statement he made a big show of not wanting me to see it. I was like, "What? Are keeping some big surprise from me?" and he responded, "Well, I just don't want you to know your anniversary gift." AGH CRAP!! 

This year is our leather year. I couldn't think of anything cool besides a belt or cigar holder when all of a sudden it hit me--A Leatherman! Get it? It even came in a leather case. So rad. I mention I got him something and he says, "Aw babe, you didn't have to get me anything."

"Are you kidding me? You think I want to be caught with my dick in my hand like last year?! That was awful! You were like, 'Here babe, it's no big deal' and then you slumped around saying, 'No no it's alright, I just like getting you things.' And then you sighed so disappointingly!  I would like that to NEVER happen again!!" 

Plus, ALL year every time I wore that robe he sighed and said, "I'm so glad you like your anniversary gift.

For the last week, every day Shaughn says he wishes he could just give me my gift early. He always does this. As soon as he gets anything for me he just wants to give it to me right away. It just burns a hole in his brain to wait. He proposed by giving me custom made M&M's that said, "Will You Marry Me?" They took weeks to finally get them. He got them on a Tuesday and proposed on Thursday. He had wanted to wait until a special night but already the day and a half he waited practically burst every vessel in his head so he figured Thursday was as good of a day as any. He just gets so excited that it's hard to be the voice of reason saying to wait. If the Marshmallow Test was giving gifts, Shaughn would lose. Plus it's not just one excited high, it's a series of ups and downs. One minute he thinks I'm going to love it and the next minute he's telling me he kept the receipt. Then he'll ask if I want to open it now. When I say we should wait he'll throw his hands up in exasperation. If I try to guess what it is he'll just offer to give it to me. Half the time, I just want to put him out of his misery. 

So as soon as his Leatherman arrives, I tell Shaughn how excited I am to give him his gift and he suggests that we should do it now. So I caved in a we opened our gifts early. He still out-gifted me but at least I won't have to stab myself with a butter knife for shame of getting him nothing.
(My new anniversary shoes and Shaughn's Leatherman)

Comments

  1. Look at those beautiful gifts!! Those are amazing shoes Miss. And nice work on the leatherman. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Chicken Story

Jennifer and her Horse

One For the Road